HBO MAX SUMMER WITH THE CREW
A WRITING COMPETITION
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to student and amateur writers that are legal residents of one of the 50 United States, Washington, D.C. or Puerto Rico and at least 18 years of age and older as of 10/22/20. Employees of Home Box Office, Inc. (“Sponsor”), Warner Media, LLC., Don Jagoda Associates, Inc. (“Administrator”), their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”) and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. Entrants must have a valid email address, which will be used to verify potential winners.
2. COMPETITION PERIOD, AND HOW TO ENTER AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: The HBO Max Summer With The Crew - A Writing Competition (the “Competition”) begins 2:00PM Pacific Time (“PT”) on 10/22/20 and ends at 11:59AM PT on 11/20/20 (the “Competition Period”). During the Competition Period, submit an original short story (your “Story”) of a childhood summer that changed your life. Story must be from 500 to 1,000 words long. To enter, visit https://www.hbomax.com/charm-city-kings/contest (“Website”) and follow the on-screen directions to submit your entry with the required information to be entered into the Competition (your “Entry” or “Submission”). Limit one (1) Entry per person. A person may only use one email address to enter the Competition. Submissions must adhere to the following:
a) Story must not exceed 1,000 words and if it does, only the first 1,000 words will be judged.
b) Submission must not have had any previous exhibition on broadcast or have been posted previously or won any previous awards or competitions.
c) Entries must be your sole, original work.
d) Submissions must be in English; common foreign words/phrases are acceptable.
e) Entry must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
f) Any Entry deemed inappropriate, offensive, discriminatory, or unsuitable, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, will be disqualified. Entries must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent (including, but not limited to, references to nudity, or pornography), profane, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, libelous (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group), violent, self-mutilating (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discusses consumption of alcohol, or illegal drugs (e.g., underage drinking, vaping, smoking, drug use, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.).
g) The Entry must not contain or depict material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination, including without limitation, discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age. The Entry must not contain or depict material that is threatening to any person, place, business, group, or world peace or contain words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group.
h) The Entry must not contain any content that infringes or may infringe third party rights, including, without limitation, any copyright, name, trademark, logo, trade dress, or other personal or proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity or make reference to any commercial/corporate advertising (including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names, charities, slogans, political, or religious statements), or be otherwise objectionable. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, publicly displayed and publicly accessible Sponsor content, materials, or products are permitted to be displayed in Entries submitted for this Contest.
i) The Entry must not include any representation of celebrities, athletes, musicians, or any other third-party (public or private), include any anti-social, political or religious groups, any commercial solicitation or promotional materials or name, address, phone number, or URL address. Entries must not contain advertisements, personal solicitations or commercial solicitations.
j) Entries should not contain any third-party materials (other than Sponsor-owned), or otherwise violate or infringe (or possibly infringe) any copyright, trademark, logo, mark that identifies a brand.
k) Entrants and all submitted Entries must be in keeping with Sponsor's image as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, or Entry may be disqualified from the Competition. The Entry must not disparage Sponsor or persons or organizations or any companies associated with Sponsor.
l) Any Entry not in compliance with the above and which does not meet the Website’s requirements will be disqualified.
All Entries submitted become the property of Sponsor upon submission and will not be returned. Each entrant grants to Sponsor a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license to copy, distribute, and display each submitted Entry, in any media, and with right to use, copy, modify, edit, and create derivative works thereafter, and agrees to execute documents confirming such right and license (as further defined below) at Sponsor’s request. Entry must be uploaded in accordance with the specifications set forth in these Official Rules and at the Website. Any Entry deemed inappropriate or unsuitable, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, will be disqualified. By entering, you understand that your Entry may be posted online, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
3. JUDGING: All Entries will be judged based on the following judging criteria (“Judging Criteria”) beginning on or about 11/23/20: (i) Creativity and Originality (40%); (ii) Story and Plot (40%); and (iii) Appropriateness to theme of the Competition (20%). The initial judging to determine 10 Finalists will be accomplished by a qualified team of judges selected by the Sponsor. The 10 Finalists then will be re-judged to determine the three (3) winners based on the Judging Criteria listed above by a qualified team of judges selected by the Sponsor on or about 12/4/20. In the event of a tie among Entries in either round, the tied Entries will be re-judged by separate judges in accordance with the Judging Criteria stated herein. Potential winners will be contacted by email/telephone, beginning on/about 12/14/20 and will be required to electronically complete a Declaration of Compliance, Release of Liability, Prize Acceptance Form and, where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and Assignment of Rights (“Prize Documents”) within 4 days of attempted notification. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and alternate determination. Sponsor reserves the right to determine fewer than the stated number of winners, in its sole discretion, if Sponsor does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entries. Limit one (1) prize per person.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): One (1) Grand Prize – A check for $3,000 and the opportunity for winner to take part in a mentorship with an available industry expert selected by Sponsor (e.g., a professional Writer or Director) to help further the winner’s writing (ARV: $3,000). One (1) First Prize – A check for $2,000 and the opportunity for winner to take part in a mentorship with an available industry expert selected by Sponsor (e.g., a professional Writer or Director) to help further the winner’s writing (ARV: $2,000). One (1) Second Prize – A check for $1,000 and the opportunity for winner to take part in a mentorship with an available industry expert selected by Sponsor (e.g., a professional Writer or Director) to help further the winner’s writing (ARV: $1,000). Mentorship opportunities will take place via telephone or video call and will occur on a date and time mutually agreed upon by mentor and winner. In the event a winner does not make him/herself available for the mentorship, that portion of prize will be forfeited and no additional compensation will be provided. Mentorship opportunities have no applicable retail value. Sponsor and mentor reserve the right to record all aspects of the mentorship and use that recording in any way for advertising of the Competition, as they see fit. Prizes consist of only the items specifically listed as the prize. No more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules shall be awarded.
5. GENERAL RULES/SPONSOR: Determination of compliance with these Official Rules will be in the sole discretion of the Sponsor/judges, whose decisions are final. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of each prize winner. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value. No substitution or transfer of prize by winners permitted. By entering, entrant grants to Sponsor and its licensees the right to use entrant’s name, likeness, Story, recording and all information submitted or otherwise provided for purposes of advertising, publicity, marketing and other communications, worldwide, in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of Entry. Sponsor not responsible for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, or misdirected mail/e-mail or for any technical problems, malfunctions of any telephone lines, computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Sponsor not responsible for any damage to any participant’s computer system/software related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Competition. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. If the Sponsor suspects that an entrant attempted to obtain additional Entries by using multiple identities or any other method, all Entries submitted by the entrant will be declared null and void. Any suspected use of robotic, automatic, programmed, or the like methods of participation will void all such Submissions by such methods. Competition may be cancelled, modified, terminated or suspended if infected by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes outside control of Sponsor which impairs or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Competition. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with any entry process or harassed any Sponsor representative or any entrant and to cancel, modify, terminate or suspend the Competition. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted on www.hbomax.com/charm-city-kings and winners will be determined, in accordance with Rule #3, from among all eligible Entries received prior to the time of termination. By participating in this Competition, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and Sponsor’s designees, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to perform a background check on potential winners. Potential winners agree to provide any verification or authorizations necessary in connection with background check. Sponsor will have the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any potential winner if the background check reveals conduct, information or history that, in Sponsor’s determination, may be harmful to Sponsor or Sponsor’s image or reputation or with which Sponsor does not wish to be associated. By participating in the Competition and/or accepting a prize, each entrant agrees to hold the Promotion Entities and their respective current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, licensees, successors and assigns and all of their respective officers, directors, agents and employees (collectively, “Released Parties”) harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of participation in this Competition or use/misuse of prize, including without limitation any claims for personal injury (including death) or property damage and any claims for infringement of any third party rights (including any intellectual property, privacy and/or publicity rights). Entrants assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused by participation in this Competition or use or redemption of any prize. CLAIMS MAY NOT BE RESOLVED THROUGH ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION. Entries are the views/opinions of the individual entrant and do not reflect the views of Sponsor in any manner. Sponsor not responsible for typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Competition or in the announcement of the prizes. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Competition materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. Sponsor is Home Box Office, Inc., 30 Hudson Yards New York, NY 10001.
6. WINNERS: To receive a winners list by email, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “HBO Max Summer With The Crew - A Writing Competition 10-2605-54” as the subject line. Requests must be received by 12/31/20. Winners list will be sent after all prizes have been awarded.
© 2020 WarnerMedia Direct LLC. All rights reserved.